Driving near tractor trailers or other commercial trucks requires some additional cautions to help you stay safe. Even the most seasoned of drivers may not know all the steps they can take to avoid becoming involved in a truck accident. To this end, our Miami truck accident lawyers have created the following list of safety tips designed to help you avoid an accident when driving near any sort of commercial truck:
1. Drive at a safe speed.
2. Do not change lanes abruptly near a truck.
3. Slow down to let trucks have the right of way.
4. Be sure to adjust your speed according to the weather conditions, slowing down in instances of heavy rain.
5. Avoid driving directly next to a tractor trailer or commercial truck.
6. Always use turn signals.
7. Be aware of road conditions and traffic signals.
8. Do not cut off a truck, especially when it may need to stop.
9. Use low-beam headlights at night when following large trucks.
10. Be aware of truck and tractor trailer’s blind spots or “no zones”–if you cannot see the truck driver in his or her outside mirrors, the truck driver probably cannot see you.
11. Maintain at least four seconds of following distance from a truck.
12. When passing, remember that trucks are far longer than cars and will require a longer time to pass.
13. Maintain a constant speed when passing a truck and make sure you can see the front of the truck in your rear-view mirror before moving in front of the truck.
14. If being passed by a truck, it is a good idea to reduce your speed slightly as the water or dirt often sprayed by the truck’s tires can reduce your visibility.
15. Be careful when passing a truck with a trailer as the trailer could swing into your lane.
16. Do not attempt to squeeze into the space next to a tractor trailer when it is making a turn because it could hit you.
17. When traveling on the highway, try not to position your car between two or more trucks as they may not see you and attempt to pull into your lane, then forcing you into another vehicle.
18. If you are stopped behind a truck that is on an incline, leave plenty of space between the truck and your vehicle as the truck will drift backward when it begins to accelerate.
19. Never drive distractedly around a truck as you could drift into its blind spot or miss presentation of its turn signal.
Greenberg Stone and Urbano: Fighting for the Recovery of Truck Accident Victims Across Florida
While it is our hope that these tips can help you avoid becoming involved in a truck accident, in the event you or a loved one is injured in a truck accident, contact the experienced South Florida Truck Accident Attorneys at Greenberg Stone and Urbano today. For over 120 collective years, we have zealously fought for the recovery of our truck accident victim clients. Our unmatched dedication to our clients and the legal arena has earned us an “AV” rating from Martindale Hubbell. Moreover, the Miami Herald voted us as one of the top-rated South Florida law firms, and, we have earned the title of “Superlawyers,” designating us as being among the best lawyers in America. We want to put this dedication to work for you, so call us at (888) 499-9700 or (305) 595-2400 or visit our website to schedule an initial consultation.